Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The 2008 recap

I know it has been quite a while since I updated. I noticed that people were actually reading the blog, so I figured I'd write what I think may happen in the tech world in the upcoming year.

2008 has been a s0-so year in technology: Intel released Core i7, turned the cellphone market upside down, and the Large Hadron Collider did not manage swallow the earth. Best Buy bought Napster, Circuit City filed Ch. 11, and Steve Jobs died is OK. Laptops outsold desktops for the first time ever, and memory (flash and HDD) has become dirt cheap. Comcast capped Internet subscribers' throughput, Blackberry lost it's keyboard, and HD-DVD finally bit the dust.

This past year has gone by so fast, and yet 2009 still seems a bit distant. Despite the economic crisis recession, we still made progress. Hard drive capacities passed one thousand gigabytes and broadband is getting faster (albeit slowly). I have some not-so-expert opinions on what may happen in coming year, but that will have to wait until after Christmas.

So until then,
Happy Christmahanukwanzakah